1985 89 London School of Economics: Ph.D in Economics (1990). Dissertation title: “Research Spillovers, International Competition and Economic Performance”.
1983 85 New York University: M.A. in Economics (1985). Thesis title: “Economic Analysis of Technology Policy”.
1980 83 London School of Economics: B.Sc. in Economics (1983)
|2018 – current||Part-time Professor, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute.|
|2018 – current||Senior Advisor, Nestor Advisors, on corporate governance issues related to international and development financial institutions, companies and not-for-profit organizations to improve decision making, controls and incentives.|
|2013 – current||Founder and Chairman, GSP Advisory.|
|2011 – 2012||Minister of Environment, Energy and Climate Change.|
|2009 – 2011||Minister of Finance of the Hellenic Republic.|
|2007 – 2009||Member of the Hellenic Parliament (Sept. 2007 – June 2009) and Member of the European Parliament (June 2009 – Oct. 2009).|
|2004 – 2007||Economic advisor to opposition leader George Papandreou;
Visiting Professor, Athens University of Economics and Business.
|2002 – 2004||Senior Advisor to the Minister of Economy and Finance.
Member of the Greek Council of Economic Advisors
|2000 – 2002||State Secretary for the Information Society in the Ministry of Economy and Finance.|
|1998 – 2000||Advisor to the Prime Minister of the Hellenic Republic.|
- Game Over–The Inside Story of the Greek Crisis (2016), Papadopoulos Publishing (Greek, English, German).
- Post-Crisis Europe, Agenda Publishing, forthcoming 2019.
- “The Greek Crisis – Responses from Greece and from Europe”, in Südostueropa Mitteilungen No. 6-2017.
- “Solar energy in Europe’s south – Lessons from Greece’s Project Helios”, in Global Investor 2017, OMFIF.
- “Greece in the EU”, in Nomos & Khaos, Nomisma publications, February 2018.
- “Post-Crisis Greece” in New Europe, January 2017.
- “The Next Steps for Greece”, op-ed in the Financial Times, June 2011.
- “The Greek Problem”, op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, November 2009.
- “e-Policy: Impact and Political Economy of the Digital revolution”, in Social and Economic Transformation in the Digital Era, edited by G. Doukidis, N. Mylonopoulos and N. Pouloudi, Idea Group Publishing, 2004.
- Economic Policy and New Sources of Growth (editor), Ministry of Economy, Athens 2003 (Greek/ English). Contributors: R. Solow, P. Solbes, L. Papademos, C. Pissarides, L. Soete, D. Ulph, R. von Weizsacker, et. al.
- ‘Product Market Reform in Greece: Priorities and Prospects” (with P. Mylonas), in Greece’s Economic Performance and Prospects, ed. R. Bryant, N. Garganas and G. Tavlas, Brookings and Bank of Greece, 2002.
- “Domestic and International product-embodied R&D diffusion” (joint with N. Sakurai and A. Wyckoff), Research Policy, 27, 1998.
- “The Impact of R&D and Technology Diffusion on Productivity Growth: Evidence from 10 OECD Countries”, Economic Systems Research, 9, 1997 (joint with N. Sakurai, E. Ioannidis).